Monday 23 November 2015

2 & A Half Years Steroid Free

As I hit a big mile stone yesterday I figured I'd better make some time to write a blog post on reaching 2 and a half years off topical steroid creams.

Right now I'm really busy with life. I finally have a full time job which I've been doing since the end of September, with two role changes during this time. I've been going to a lot of gigs and having more of a social life. I can't remember my last day of doing absolutely nothing, I always seem to be on the go right now.

I'm still taking Ciclosporin but no doubt I will be asked to come off it soon, but all of my blood tests come back fine each time so my body is in sync with it. I still haven't lost any weight yet but I trust that when my body normalises I will do. My diet is mostly clean but as always, there is room for improvement and I am switching ever more to a vegan diet.

I have also worn make up for long periods on a couple of occasions without any over-damaging effects. This makes me hopeful that my skin is finally toughening up. My eyelids were one of the worst targeted areas for applying steroid creams and it reached a point where liquid eyeliner would burn and eventually even mascara just applied to the eyelashes would cause an awful reaction. I doubt I'll ever be able to wear liquid liner again but I'm happy enough to get away with mascara. Also my eyebrows look fantastic now.

I've also noticed my intolerance to heat has diminished significantly. I've always had poor circulation in my hands and feet, and also have my lips turn blue, but recently I've noticed that this has switched and I'm much more intolerant of the cold. It got to a point where I was unable to wear layers underneath a coat or jacket because I would come out in hives, but now all I do is layer up because I'm freezing cold! I was a lot better over this summer period of tolerating the warm, but the true test will be going over to a hot country to see how I fare then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still up and down with my skin but it hasn't prevented me from doing stuff recently and I can't remember when I last took a sick day from work because of it. Onwards and upwards!

Recent photo of me from a friends' wedding wearing mascara, eyeliner and eyebrow pencil.

I would dig out more photos but I can't be bothered to trawl through my phone so this will have to do you for now ;)

Hope everyone is doing well, and as ever I apologise for my online absence.


14 comments :

  1. You look fab. Just hit my 4 year anniversary this week. How time flies. I remember when you first decided to stop steroids! Great to see you looking so well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am FRED and i want quickly recommend DR NCUBE for a Job well done by
      curing me from the genital herpes disease that have be giving me sleepless night. if you want to contact him, Simply do that via email drncube03@gmail.com or
      call/whatsapp +2348155227532
      he also have #herbs for
      #hiv/aids
      #cancerdisease
      #fibroid
      #diabetes

      Delete
  2. You look great!! Glad to hear your skin is improving.

    Lauren x | www.laurenapowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jenny, I'm so happy for you. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over the moon for you Jen. Onwards and upwards indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing!! I'm so happy that you are seeing major improvements! How do you think you're skin will react when you come off of the ciclosporin? I myself was warned off of it by the doctor so I've never taken it myself! Do you think it's less harmful than steroid creams? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. AMAZING. I'm sitting here on my couch staring at my "red sleeved arms" and looking at your before and after photos gives me so much relief and assurance that I'm on the right track. your skin looks great by the way. thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of assistance :) Hope withdrawal isn't being too harsh to you.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jenny, I've been reading your blog for a while, and as an eczema sufferer myself I am really happy seeing others significantly improved from this damned skin condition.

    I've also quit using topical steroids for almost 3 years now, I remembered once a doctor told me to apply the cream twice or thrice a day (I have eczema on my palms and on the soles of the feet). It was really terrible! My skin went very thin to the point that stepping on somewhat bulging object would make my feet bled. Although it did clear up my eczema. From that day onwards, I cannot walk with my bare feet anymore, need to wear socks everywhere.

    Until then, I found out that some people suggesting to use coconut oil. Up to this day, I've been using mostly coconut oil and petroleum jelly. Its somewhat effective to me, but it doesn't clear up the eczema, but really helps with the break outs and also calms the skin down.

    Today, just realised that I need to wear gloves due to the eczema on my hands getting worse. But seeing what you've been through, It gives me hope that this skin condition can improve, and hopefully, can be healed completely.

    Sorry for the long post, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow it's amazing article and good job for spreading post, actually my child has 4 years occurred by eczema, but i should no what will do..please can give suggestion.
    While searching i found one site that full helped me.
    http://www.pediatriconcall.com/fordoctor/Diseases_a_z/article.aspx?artid=271

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an interesting post. It was worth visiting your blog. Hope to visit again.

    pore reducing cream

    baby eczema

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agen Dan Situs agen bandar bola Terpercaya Indonesia Adalah Salah Satu Situs Pilihan QQWIN99


    ReplyDelete